Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Cross-cultural Exchange: Put on your sweats and bodge it.

I recently watched an episode of Castle wherein one of the lead characters used one of my favorite British-ism, knackered (meaning really tired), and calling redheads "ginger" is definitely being used more widely. I've seen a few articles saying that British slang words are on the rise in America thanks to Harry Potter, Doctor Who and Downton Abbey. Overall, I think this is a good thing but I believe we can learn from each other on both sides of the pond. Here are but a few examples of words I think the Brits might want to adopt, plus a few things the Americans might enjoy championing the use of over there.

First and foremost, "sidewalk." I cannot tell you how difficult it is as a parent to attempt to retrain my brain and mouth to say "pavement" instead of sidewalk. In America, the pavement is the road! So imagine telling your child, "Please stay on the road!" Which is what it feels like to me to say pavement. Honestly, doesn't sidewalk just make sense? It is the walking area beside the road. And yes, I know it is also known as a "footpath" but so is a muddy track as is the stone path in my back garden (garden sounds prettier than yard, I'm good with this one). Let's just accept the Americans have the better idea here.

Next, please call them "sweats" instead of "tracksuit bottoms." Such a mouthful for what are essentially trousers one wears to do something strenuous or, alternatively, lay around the house. Let's just call them what they are for rather trying imply we are all going for a run around a mythical track in a dream of fitness glory. I've heard people call them "trackies" but that's really not better and for me evokes an image of people addicted to dog racing, gripping betting forms and smoking half crumpled cigarettes.

As the temperatures begin to fall, can we drop the pretense and just say "sweater"? Even you don't know why you call a sweater a "jumper." I've seen several children's first words books label various things jumpers including one-piece dresses, sweaters, and overalls - I'm sorry, they can't ALL be a jumper. Sweater is evocative of what it is and we can agree that it is just for knitwear worn on the top of the body, generally over another shirt. Thanks. Wasn't that easy?

Now to the naming of types of schools. The British really just need to scrap their terms and start again because it makes no sense whatsoever. A "public school" is what Americans know as "private school", which makes the phrase "public school kid" into a classist insult in the UK. A "state school" is known as "public school" in America whereas a "state school" is usually just one of perhaps several American state-sponsored universities and colleges. I am sure the British system is rooted in tradition and history but so was beheading and nowadays we find that repulsive too.

In the interest of equal time here are four British words I think Americans would enjoy using.

I love the word "bodge." It means to put together quickly just so the thing will work. Honestly, this is the American way. Why don't we use this word already?

The word shambolic, while not disused in the US, deserves a renaissance. It means chaotic, disorganized, or muddled. Can anyone say American politics? Also, this is an excellent alternative to the not always socially acceptable "cluster fuck."

Say this one with me, "He got quite shirty with me!" It can mean rude but mostly it means pompous or perhaps flustered. For some reason this one really paints a picture for me. I imagine someone doing up their top buttons on their shirt or pulling a sweater in at the collar harshly while lecturing me on something inconsequential.

This last one I am less sure of because it is overused in Britain, especially with children - cheeky. I like it because it portrays well the playful nature of misbehavior, in particular with kids, but I've also heard it used to excuse sexist comments from men as humorous. I leave this one to you America, you bunch of cheeky monkeys. (see, that could really go either way.)

OH, but I have to add one cute phrase that WeeC has adopted - easy peasy, lemon squeezie. It is just kind of adorable. Use it instead of "easy as pie" because pie making is actually not that easy while squeezing a lemon is very straightforward!

1 comment: